Saturday, February 16, 2013

*Our greatest test* Part 1

It's February again, February 2013. Which mean it's been a year after my family and I were put through an experience like no other. And it's been  a year this article is being delayed.  This is written for sharing  experience purposes with other mommy and this article had been published in Babytalk Magazine in August 2012.

 

 It's all started from 14 February 2012, as much as I remembered Syakir had an on-and-off fever.I decided to being Syakir to the nearest KK for a normal checkup. He had been threw up anything and everything he drank. Mind you, he is a fully breastfeeding baby. After he was examined by a medical assistant, he was suspected to dengue, due to the number of cases recently in the area we are living. Hence, we are referred to the other clinic for a blood-test for my 10 months old baby, Syakir. We went for the blood test n the result came out after 2 days and Syakir was clearly negative for dengue.
 

Thus we, again, referred but this time to the medical officer, on Thursday February 16, 2012, (that's the procedure peeps) but sadly all she did was just asking me what happened to my baby. Neither a single touch to examine my baby (macam anak aku contagious sangat, grrrr) nor a temperature taken (but i did write every single symptom Syakir had and his body temp every 10 minutes, quite a detail mommy I am). The best she did is to prescribed my baby with hydration salt. We went back home late that day (just due to waiting time, the doctor busy talking about their paycheck *facepalm* rather than attending patient, talk based on what I've experienced).

It was Friday February 17, 2012 when my mom and dad arrived our home to visit us and Syakir (they also went too worry about Syakir's condition) but Syakir was asleep. They only could see Syakir, next morning, which brought them into extreme shock, seeing how Syakir lost his weight. Apparently, we wait no more and rushed to Az-Zahrah Islamic Medical Centre to see his regular Paed there. Unfortunately, he wasn't there that day but we were attended with another lovely paed. She was brought into a great shocked upon seeing Syakir thus she waited nothing but to order for an IV line to be set up for Syakir as he was really dehydrated (this is why I don't mind paying more to get my baby attended accordingly) and she started to put the line in. It's almost an hour process as Syakir got dehydrated and his blood vessels were flat which made the process even more complicated.
Syakir was attended for an IV line setting up
Alhamdulillah, in less than two hours, Syakir were admitted, given a room and his regular paed, Dr Nazim immediately rushed to see Syakir once contacted. Poor him but had to come over to see Syakir before his child's Sport Day ended. We really appreciate that more than anything. We stayed for 2 days, Saturday and Sunday, as Syakir was suspected with Rotavirus (which was a nation issue at that time) so the doctor awaited for Syakir to pass his movement bowel. But it was a fatiguely wait, he did nothing to pass his bowel but only more vomiting. He went really unwell n passive which is so not him. Until Sunday afternoon when the doctor decided to prescribed him a medicine (to be insert from his back) to get him pass his bowel. And finally Syakir pass his movement bowel but with blood! I am so much worry (as from my reading, no bowel with blood-stained listed as the symptom of Rotavirus). Yes, I did brought my lappy for advanced reading on my baby's condition. Not that I don't trust the doctor but at least we could discussed rather than only be the one being fed on what is my baby is facing and collected it to be tested.

The next Monday morning, Dr Nazim with his colleague, a surgeon, came-by to see Syakir's progress, which is nothing much. The surgeon did some physical test on Syakir's tummy and they did discussed with medical language, I can't help to not eavesdropping them. Then Dr Nazim decided to get Syakir tested with ultrasound as the surgeon and him suspected some blockage occurred and that Syakir didn't pass his bowel. At noon, my hubby went back home for more clothes supply and sent used one home (as we smelt something fishy when we were asked to do ultrasound test. U can't beat mom's instinct with any other).

To be continued as I can't help myself from remembering what we've been thru, sebak dalam dada yang tak dapat nak tahan. Oh, till now, I'll burst into tears each and everytime i heard the sound of ambulans' siren. Syakir pun tau ambulans siren more than any siren..

No comments: