Monday, September 29, 2014

Babywearing - FB Status #4

PSA on Babywearing.
Anyone came to me asking about babywearing, I will normally ask this 3 question:
1. How old is your baby?
2. What is your baby weight?
3. Do you ever tried/own a carrier?
Why do I have to know your baby age and weight? Everyone knows that the carrier can be use from newborn till toddler, it's stated on the box right?
Yes, they did but I am not selling anything to anyone hence I feel the urge to advice as well as recommending accordingly.
With a newborn, I will always recommend a non-structured carrier which is either a simple piece of cloth, named wrap, or a ring-sling (rs). But I might be bias as I am a wrap mama hence I would go to wrap first, bhahahaha...
Why would I suggest those wrap and rs? I've wrote about it before: https://www.facebook.com/sharh/posts/10152497489023751
So, straight to the third question. Why would I wanna know whether you have own or tried any type of carrier? Because I will make use of what you have. If you have a narrow-based carrier (NBC) which known as a non-ergonomic carrier, I won't simply suggest you to get another one (I will if I knew you could afford one! again, *evil laugh*) but we would make use of the existence. With NBC, all you need is another pashmina or shawl to be tie under your baby bum to provide the optimum knee-to-knee support and making a seat to your baby with M positioning. But, please oh please, don't come again to me or keep complaining the backache you having. This is due to MOST NBC does not have the waistband as a support for you. See, we will make both, wearer and the wearee, happy and comfort.
And, if your baby is under a special needs baby, please do let me know it first thing. Yes, I need to know because the advice or suggestions might be differ. Because I won't do it due to my non-existence knowledge of it. I won't and I don't wanna take the liability of recommending things I am not sure or don't know. Surely, you could ask me but I will redirect you to the better person. I promise you'll never feel left out or dismissed just because of that. Your baby is more fragile than other baby but they have the right to be carry as well, let's not stop us and them to enjoy every moment of our life. They surely can be wear but with advices from the expert.
But, if you have the fake one, you will need to get new, safer one. Or if you have a batik-sling. Why? Am I not proud of my own heritage? Is batik a lower / downgraded sling? NO and NO again. It's not about me not appreciating my heritage, I am. In fact, I kept mentioning Malaysia while I was in Minnesota and most of them not really aware of the existence of Malaysia. They know Singapore better. I quoted from my dear friend in babywearing world; having to promote or advocate the use of Batik as a sling is like you, promoting Becha (trishaw) to be use to and fro to work daily. It's uplifting the heritage, tradition but it is not practical unluckily.
Batik is another issue. Do I have to explain it? Will there be a reader? I am not against Batik-sling but I won't recommend it to be use as daily carrier for your baby due to many reasons. InsyaAllah, I will. We are the babywearing parent.

No comments: