Sunday, September 28, 2014

Babywearing - FB Status #3

PSA
I started my babywearing journey with my first baby quite late, at the age of 7 months. After a thorough research, asked around, joined gathering and participated in few groups; I started with a simple piece of cloth or SPOC a.k.a wrap. Due to the weight of my baby, I go for a linen blend and somewhat middle thick wrap.
As baby's shoes and clothes, baby carriers do have sizes and age limit. Always I've been asked, which carrier can be use from newborn till toddlerhood. Before I answer it, I have a question. Will your baby wear their newborn cloth till toddler?
And with my second baby, I went all out wearing her from newborn. My preferences would be the wrap. Is wrap difficult to wear? Too long and it's hassle? I might be bias but practice makes perfect.
To wear your baby from newborn, the best bet is wrap or a ringsling. It's the skill you need to master. Why wrap is the best bet for me? Because of it's mouldability, stretchiness and how it could snug your baby and you just how you need it. The wrap will provide your baby's optimum c-shape curve and this will help them in spine development. Emotionally, as the baby near to the mom, they will grow up as an independent baby, as much as they could feel the warmth of the mother's body. Socially, they will well-exposed to the world with the mother very near to them.
As they grow up, you might change your carrier preferences. Some might venture into ringsling as an easy option for a quick ups and downs; especially when the baby started walking. Or a structured carrier called SSC. Or still a wrap but shorter length.
Won't my shoulder be in pain? I will get backache/muscle pain for carrying my heavy baby. -Listen to your body while carrying you baby-
This is why it's important to use the correct and safe carrier. It will not only for the safety of the baby but for the parent as well. A wrap wasn't just any simple piece of cloth. I would NEVER recommend you a BATIK for a frequent and long-term usage due to it's wear-and-tear issue, the weave of it and the colour plus the wax used.
This is going to be extra long entry but for more information, you are just a PM a way from. Happy babywearing.
Picture: My husband wearing our 41 months boy in a SSC and I am with our almost 3 months old girl in SPOC.

 Click here to read

No comments: