Thursday, February 17, 2011

Pregnancy Week 30

Even though I am getting heavier, deep down in my heart I knew that the need for exercise hasn't quit. Swimming (haven’t started the class yet) and walking are wonderful forms of exercise for pregnant women. Thus, I keep myself go up and down the stair (even a bit slow) as my daily routine exercise instead of following my hubby for a jog every weekend (*grin* hope the walking to the kitchen, in mall as well as going up and down the stair will sufficient for me). In addition, I’ve learned few steps of exercise in the antenatal class attended last month, organised by KPMC which is very helpful. I am planning to go for another class by Azzahrah Islamic Medical Centre that arranged only for those who have done regular check-ups with them. Besides, many community centres and dance studios host pre- and postnatal exercise classes. They're fun, gentle, can help you feel energized, and offer a great way to meet other expectant mothers!

All about Me

I am now have only few more weeks to go! The baby weight is starting to impact my lifestyle. From walking pace, sleeping time to emotion related matter; all are more or less influenced. Bending over is tricky if not impossible. And tying my shoes? Forget about it. As my baby-to-be crowds my internal organs more heartburn, indigestion, and flatulence experienced. By this stage, breathing sometimes being a sore as my lungs has less room to expand.

Tired of Being Pregnant?

By this point the novelty of my baby bump may have worn off—I’ve getting downright tired of being pregnant. In a few weeks your aches and pains will be a distant memory as I stare into my newborn's face, but for now there are a few simple things I could do to make my last few pregnancy weeks more comfortable.

Complaint: No sleep. My baby bump makes it hard to find a comfortable sleeping position. Add to that the discomfort caused by the internal organs making room for the growing of baby-to-be: My lungs have to work harder to provide the extra oxygen that the body needs, creating shortness of breath. Stomach is pushed up, making heartburn and indigestion likely. And the bladder—well—I’m already used to going to the bathroom several times a day, and making similar trips at night can be frustrating.

Solution: I did positioned pillows around my body for support. Have my hubby massage the sore body before bedtime especially with Vitamin E oil. For fewer bathroom breaks, I don't drink water an hour or so before going to bed (but I have to make sure to drink plenty of water during the day).

Complaint: Swelling can become a real problem late in pregnancy. The body retains water to supply the increased of blood production (which goes up by 50 percent during pregnancy). You may find your face, ankles, and fingers swell to the point your shoes don't fit and your rings won't go on (or come off!). Fortunately for me, my feet don’t badly swollen till my 3rd trimester (as I could still wear my heels!!).

Solution: Drink lots of water to push fluids that can ease the swelling. Also, be smart about what you do during the day. I’d avoid from standing on my feet or stay in any position too long or the blood will pool, making swelling even worse. Change positions frequently and put the feet up as much as possible to increase circulation. Talk to your doctor if swelling becomes severe.

Complaint: Potty breaks. Frequent urination is a common complaint during pregnancy. It can become a nuisance to find a restroom any time you go somewhere. As the baby-to-be continues to grow, the pressure on the bladder will too, meaning the potty breaks will keep increasing until the baby's birth.

Solution: The only real solution is to have the baby. Don't limit your visits to the bathroom—holding in urine for too long can lead to urinary or bladder infections.

Complaint: No clothes. Toward the end of my pregnancy those cute maternity clothes that once neatly covered my baby bump may barely fit. Plus, I am wearing the same outfits over and over again, since non-maternity clothes are out.

Solution: Having something new to wear can brighten your mood. As I don't want to sink more money into a wardrobe that will last only a few weeks, I asked friends and relatives if they have any maternity clothes they're willing to lend. As the result, I got few pieces from my friend as well as my aunts. Spice up and mix-and- matching my own maternity clothes by buying non-maternity, button-down shirts or sweaters to pair with my maternity wear.

All About Baby

My baby's face looks much like it will when he's born. He still needs to fill out more to get the characteristic chubby infant cheeks, but he's on his way. He can move his head, open his eyes, and make breathing movements through his open nostrils (although no air comes in). The movement, as if he’s futsal-ing or somersaulting in there. But it’s great and enjoyable moment not to be missed. The bun now should be counted his movement using ‘foetal kick chart’.

How Big Is Baby?

If my little one were born today, he'd have a good chance for survival at about 3 pounds and a little over 15 inches long (crown to heel).

Most Common Pregnancy Questions

I have noticed some discharge from my nipples. Could I have an infection?

What many women think may be some type of breast infection during pregnancy is actually the leaking and/or crusting of early milk on the nipple. Colostrums, the initial super-charged, immunity-rich milk your baby will drink right after birth begins to form in your breasts early in your pregnancy. Some women will experience leaking during pregnancy, while others may not see anything at all. (This is no indication of your ability to produce milk.)

If you notice a discharge from your nipples, gently wash your nipples with a washcloth. In some cases, where there is significant leaking, you can wear a nursing pad to absorb moisture. Seeing this leaking is a good answer to the frequently asked "Is there anything in there?" question!

Some other changes you may notice in your breasts include:

  • · Tenderness
  • · Increase in size
  • · Darkening and increased size of the areola
  • · Larger, more prominent veins
  • · Stretch marks (due to increasing size)
  • · Itchy skin (due to stretching as your breasts increase in size)

If you have questions about your breasts or any other changes you may be experiencing as your pregnancy progresses, check with your doctor or midwife.

Have a bag to take with you each day filled with:

  • · your breast pump (if you're nursing)
  • · a clean shirt (you'll sweat a good bit in the initial days after delivery)
  • · a water bottle to stay hydrated
  • · some healthy snacks.

For Your Partner

A New Baby: A Gift for the Whole Family

Families rarely talk about the impact a new baby has on an extended family. Especially when Baby will be the first child to enter the fold, the change can be quite dramatic. You and your partner's parents will suddenly have new roles: Grandparents. This new position in the family is often anticipated with unrivalled joy. Grandparents have the luxury of being free from the baggage most parents carry, and for this reason find they feeling more excited, relaxed, and comfortable with the changes to come.

This is a great opportunity for families because the new grandparents want to help and most new parents need some. When a grandchild comes into the world, the focus of the family shifts from parents to the new baby; schedules work around the baby, and everyone wants to know how they can help out. This is a great opportunity for you to build a better relationship with parents and in-laws. It is also a good time to learn how to ask for help.

Many grandparents-to-be will offer to help out, while others want to help, but don't want to intrude on your new parenting time. Feel free to get the message out to the expecting grandparents that if they can baby sit one or two nights a month (or however many you want) so you and your partner can get some much needed time together, it would be a huge assistance. Remember you and your partner are the core of your growing family, the very foundation; and the healthier you two are doing together, as a team, the better your child will do, too.

No comments: